I still can’t believe I’m 38 today. I made it to 38! Though I don’t count the years, so I say. But the experiences in life.
What makes it different this time? Well, this is my first birthday under lockdown. Cheers, Corona! I mean the other Corona (wink).
My birthday has never really been a big deal since I celebrate life every waking day. I am always grateful the moment I open my eyes in the morning. But since becoming a mom, I celebrate my birthday in a more meaningful way because I get another chance to celebrate it with my son. Just the excitement I see on his face when he sees birthday candles on a cake makes my heart skip with happiness. Priceless!
Getting older, I mean getting wiser, allows you to pay more attention to yourself and everyone around you.
Here are my 38 life lessons in the last 38 years:
- To know yourself is the answer to loving yourself.
- Forgiveness is an endowment you can give yourself.
- Giving is so much better than receiving.
- Compassion is a more fulfilling way to live than closing your eyes to suffering.
- Learn the art of empathy and stop judging people based on inadequate information.
- Mistakes are your best teacher. Don’t be afraid of it.
- Don’t be too anxious about the future and stop living in the past.
- Don’t let life make you bitter.
- Learn how to swallow your pride and stop being too proud to apologize. Saying sorry goes a long way.
- Freaking out doesn’t change the outcome of anything.
- We don’t always get what we want.
- Failures are our instrument to success.
- Change begins with changing habits.
- Material things are worse than useless. It adds no value to life.
- Wisdom is wealth.
- All emotions are beautiful. See the light even in your darkest days.
- The greatest joys are free. Warm hugs from someone you love is all you need.
- Don’t strive for perfection. You will always feel incomplete.
- The best way to clarify your thoughts is to write it down. Spell it out and express yourself.
- Don’t let your expectations stop you from experiencing reality. Accept it as it is and be happy.
- Regret is a waste of time.
- Gratitude is finding contentment in life.
- Gossip is poison. Fulfilled and happy people don’t waste their time and energy on putting others down.
- Slow down. Life is more enjoyable when you do it at a slower pace. Stop and smell the flowers.
- No. It’s a complete sentence. You don’t have to explain yourself.
- I’m not that cool and it’s fine with me.
- Rest is more valuable than you think.
- People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.
- Who you decide to spend your time with is one great decision. So, be relentless.
- Trust is something you have to do to experience it.
- Always spend time with someone you love. Tomorrow might be gone.
- Surround yourself with people who shine bright because these are the ones that want to see you shine brighter.
- Choose your friends wisely because they’re your chosen family.
- You are here to make a difference in your unique way.
- The destination is just a tiny piece of the journey. Make sure you don’t miss out on the other details.
- Always be open to new ideas.
- Don’t forget to open your heart and take the road less traveled.
- There’s more left to learn. Life has many lessons left to teach me, and I am looking forward to it all.
Thankful for the 38 years of life. I’ve learned so much! The twist and turns of life taught me to be still in the middle of the storm. I may have fallen so many times, but I always get back up.
These years won’t be as worth living if it wasn’t for the people I have in my life. Thank you for the inspiration, love, and acceptance that I am perfectly imperfect, and you embraced it with open arms.
Cheers to life! 🥂
P.S. Looking forward to better days, where I can be on a beach somewhere, rolling on the sand and looking at the sky full of stars.